Vision is not just about seeing clearly. It is also about having comfortable, long-lasting and efficient vision. Tired eyes, eyestrain, blurred or double vision, and headaches are all signs that may indicate that your eyes are not working efficiently. Detecting the presence of a vision problem that requires vision therapy is the key. A comprehensive binocular vision assessment is important for this, but unfortunately this is an area that is often overlooked.
Children may not complain of these problems, but instead may avoid tasks such as reading and writing as they find it difficult and causes them discomfort.
Vision Therapy examples
When necessary, we can prescribe for you a program of vision therapy which involves specific eye exercises that includes the use of lenses, prisms, filters, occluders, specialized equipment and computer programs to improve your eye alignment, focusing, eye aiming and eye coordination. It can be used to treat existing problems such as lazy eyes, turned eyes or poorly sustained focussing.
Each program is designed specifically to meet your individual needs. The amount of home training and the duration of a course of vision therapy will depend on the nature and severity of your symptoms.
For children, the benefits include improved reading ability and learning, improved accuracy for playing ball sports as well as increased self-confidence as they are now able to maintain clear and comfortable vision.
For adults, the benefits include more efficient viewing for reading and driving, with less eyestrain and improved overall comfort.
And for some children and adults, this form of therapy can help to eliminate issues with their focusing which may be a risk factor for their increasing myopia (or short-sightedness).
If you or your child feels that there is a vision problem that glasses or contact lenses are not adequately helping, then this may help you to achieve clear and comfortable binocular vision.
- Whether it be that special look for an occasion, a sporting activity or simply the flexibility, convenience and freedom from glasses, contact lenses can let you be you.
- Good vision is a key factor for living a healthy and happy life. With our strong focus on eye health and vision care services we want to help you maintain your Vision For Life.
- Myopia, or short-sightedness, is the most common vision problem in the world. In Australia, 35% of people are currently short-sighted and this is expected to increase to 50% by 2050.
- Orthokeratology, or Ortho-K, is a specialist contact lens procedure that allows you to see clearly during the day without vision correction. With Ortho-K, we can design specially made lenses for you to wear at night while you sleep.
- Much of what a child learns is through their eyes. As important as it is that a child sees well, vision is also about integrating their vision with their other skills.